Monday, February 11, 2013

Reading/exploring Michael Joyce's Twelve Blue.

I approached this assignment with the hope of having a better appreciation for electronic literature at the end of the reading but I'm not even sure I reached the end.

Since I began reading Twelve Blue I've wanted to pull out my hair in strands like the interactive threads of the story. 

As my first strategy I clicked on all the hyperlinks.  I had imagined reading through hyperlinks wouldn't provide much flow to the reader but direct them away from the story.  In this case I was directed to different scenes of the story with no real connection between them.  This came to a sudden stop when the story reached a painting.  From this point I wasn't able to continue, I was stuck on one page.

Next I decided to use the different color threads as a guide for the story.  I chose to click on all the green threads and each one, again, provided me with different areas of the story without any unity among the sections.  I felt as though I was randomly page hopping through a book

Lastly, I tried sticking to one specific thread and clicked on it until it displayed ever scene on that thread.  I think I was able to get through more areas of the story but I still encountered the same problem, big abrupt leaps from one scene to a completely different one.  This made it difficult to follow the story, not to mention grasp the author's intention.   

No comments:

Post a Comment